Wednesday, March 28, 2018

So I wanted to write something since this is the last day of my mission.  I don't think I've relayed my feelings about the past two years very well.  I am so extremely grateful for the opportunity I have had to serve for two years here in Oregon.  I can't describe the feelings of gratitude I have for the experiences I was given here to improve myself spiritually, mentally, emotionally, and physically.  

Deciding to come on a mission was hard for me and even after I had made the decision I quickly realized I was not prepared.  I realized how distant I was from God.  I realized how self centered I was and I could quickly see that my focus back home was on the wrong things.  It honestly feels like a miracle that I made it on a mission.  

As I went into the MTC I was able to learn more about the gospel than I had in the many years before and I'm so grateful I took it seriously.  Getting into the mission field here in Oregon was a hard change for me. All the rules we had and the lifestyle change was super difficult.  One of the first things I learned though was that the mission president (President Russell at the time) was truly inspired in making transfers.  Elder Falatea helped me so much and I was able to get through a hard first stage of adjusting.  Throughout my time serving after that I was blessed continually with seeing people get baptized, having wonderful companions that helped me to become better, learning from my studies, and making great friends.  

There are two experiences that really stand out from the recent months of my mission that have really impacted me.  The first was an opportunity I took to sincerely pray about the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith after finishing reading the Book of Mormon.  I really wanted to have an assurance that those things are right and I did all that I knew to do to gain an answer.  I felt like I hadn't gotten any answer to my prayers after a week or two.  But then we had General Conference and I was able to feel an answer more clearly than anything I had felt before.  I learned again that the Book of Mormon is true and that Joseph Smith was a disciple of Jesus Christ.  I also learned a lot about the power of prayer and the importance of having faith in always receiving answers and guidance.  

The second experience was a difficult time during my mission where I felt I had failed in what I was supposed to do in the area I had been serving.  I was transferred and I was frustrated I didn't do as well as I felt I should have.  I felt like I could've done more and helped our investigators more.  The months following that I was reminded of a couple things.  First, it isn't about me or what I want or expect to happen.  I am here to do my best where I am assigned.  Second, through the atonement I can move forward from any failures or shortcomings.  That was something I had not been focusing on as much as I should have before.

I am beyond grateful for the people I have met while I've been here on my mission.  I have made great friends that I have served with and I have made great friends through teaching.  I definitely feel I have been blessed by others more than I could have possibly blessed those around me.  I'm so glad I was given this opportunity and there were those who were willing to help me become better.

Just wanted to write something short on how blessed I have been these past two years.  I am so grateful and I know that the gospel is what brings joy!

Stay Solid
Sawyer










 

No comments:

Post a Comment